Caspian Terns, Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Common Mynas, and Crested Bellbirds are some of the c-word birds counted so far as part of the first-ever Aussie Backyard Bird Count.
More than 500,000 birds have been spotted across the country as part of our client BirdLife Australia’s national citizen science project, which continues over the weekend in the final days of National Bird Week!
Our crew have spent the week generating coverage about the national count starting with a live broadcast from Melbourne on Monday morning, bird dates with radio, television and newspaper journalists and producers, and constant refreshing of the app to track the steady flow of data.
Here are some highlights from the coverage and social media conversations so far:
- Channel 9 Newsreader Peter Hitchener spotted more than 16 species in a “Twitch with Hitch”
- ABC’s Paul Kennedy shared his passion for bird watching before an interview with @Twitchathon
- Threatened species commissioner Gregory Andrews counting with colleagues
- UK Comedian Bill Bailey cut the official clothesline & spotted 62 birds at the official launch
- Bald Coots were a-plenty as @RossAndJohn and @Twitchathon road-tested the new #aussiebirdcount app
Make sure you take 20 minutes this weekend to contribute to the count and tell us how many birds you spot!
Cheers, Jack & the c word crew